For anyone caught in a time warp and still thinks your Facebook strategy should be about ‘engagement’ (whatever the vague notion of engagement actually denotes), here’s some get-real data suggesting that your Facebook strategy should be about deals and shopping, not ‘engagement’, conversations, relationships or any of that Cluetrain jazz – in the UK at least.
This from a Toluna/eConsultancy national representative survey of UK respondents:
- 19% follow brands on Facebook (slight female, youth, affluent bias)
- 70% do so for special offers
- Most follow 2-5 brands
- Most un-follow because of lack of special offers, dull/inappropriate frequency of updates
- 25% have made a purchase via a brand’s Facebook page
- 52% have recommended a brand on Facebook
Checkout the dynamic survey results page to carve up data by age, sex, education and income.